UK Government sanctions Vladimir Putin and Sergey Lavrov
President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov will be hit with an assets freeze as part of the UK’s punitive sanctions regime to degrade Russia’s economy and military infrastructure.From:Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Officeand The Rt Hon Elizabeth Truss MPPublished25 February 2022
- President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov assets frozen in latest wave of UK’s punishing sanctions regime
- Both blocked from any future business in UK
- Truss: “These new sanctions send a clear message that nothing and no one is off the table.”
- Hitting top of Russia’s government part of co-ordinated campaign by allies to degrade Russian economy following invasion of Ukraine
President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov will be hit with an assets freeze as part of the UK’s punitive sanctions regime to degrade Russia’s economy and military infrastructure.
In a third wave of punishing sanctions in just four days, the UK’s sanctions have been strategically coordinated with international allies to impose a severe cost on Putin and his regime.
The new sanctions, which are targeted personally at Putin and Lavrov, will see any UK-based assets frozen immediately and UK companies will be barred from providing goods, services or assets to them in future.
The Foreign Secretary Liz Truss said:
These new sanctions send a clear message that nothing and no one is off the table. These measures reflect the horror and gravity of what Putin and his regime has done, violating the territorial integrity of a sovereign nation with an illegal and unjustified invasion.
Today’s announcement follows a sweeping package of financial sanctions targeting Russian banks, oligarchs and key strategic businesses, as well as territorial sanctions and restrictions on sovereign debt announced on Tuesday.
Previous sanctions announced as part of the UK package include:
- Assets of all Russian banks frozen including, a full asset freeze on VTB. Co-ordinated with the US, this is the single biggest financial sanction in history. Individuals and companies whose assets are frozen will be unable to undertake any business in the UK or with UK nationals.
- Russian companies will be prevented from borrowing on the UK markets, effectively ending the ability of those companies closest to Putin to raise finance in the UK. This is in addition to banning the Russian state itself from raising funds in the UK, as previously announced.
- Designated banks will be prevented from accessing Sterling and clearing payments through the UK. Banks subject to this measure will be unable to process any payments through the UK or have access to UK financial markets. A full list of previous sanctions here.
- A ban on the export of a range of high-end and critical technical equipment and components in sectors including electronics, telecommunications, and aerospace.
Telephone 020 7008 3100
Contact the FCDO Communication Team via email (monitored 24 hours a day) in the first instance, and we will respond as soon as possible.