False DFSA Certificate Used in a Fraudulent Scam
30 Jan 2018
The Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA) alerts the financial services community and the public about a fraudulent scam that impersonates the DFSA and uses false documents purporting to be from the DFSA.
The scammers have issued a certificate falsely claiming that:
• the certificate is issued by the DFSA;
• the certificate verifies that the individual mentioned in the certificate has been cleared of all terrorist funding involvement and any illegal financial transactions;
• the product concerned is “cleared of terrorism”; and
• the certificate is signed by the DFSA’s Deputy Director.
The scammers also fraudulently used a false name and signature of the “Deputy Director” of the DFSA and misused the names of the DFSA, the “Government of UAE” and a UAE government Ministry without authority.
Please click here to view the certificate.
The DFSA wishes to advise that:
• the DFSA does not issue any certificates for the purpose of clearing an individual or any products from involvement in any terrorist activities; and
• the false certificate appears to have been produced for a fraudulent and malicious purpose.
The DFSA strongly advises that you do not respond to any communication regarding the scam, and under no circumstances should you send or give any money to any party in connection with the scam.
The DFSA has a page on its website dedicated to alerts which it has issued about scams. All alerts issued by the DFSA may be accessed by going to: ALERTS
The DFSA has also issued warnings and guidance about the common types of scams, including advance fee scams, perpetrated on consumers. For more information on these scams please go to: HOW TO AVOID BEING SCAMMED
If you have any concerns about the authenticity of any correspondence or documents that purport to be issued by the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC), the DFSA or a DFSA regulated firm, you should direct your concerns to the DIFC on Tel:+971 4 362 2222 and to the DFSA via the DFSA Complaints function on: COMPLAINTS