Disclaimer: I work for Dow Jones. The person filling this position, in fact, will work very closely with me. On a personal note, Louise Browne, who currently holds the role, is a consummate professional. I very much enjoyed working with her, and will miss our weekly meetings (and regular interactions). I wish her well.
Position Summary Statement:
The Director, Special Lists, heads a large global research team responsible for the “Special Lists” (Sanction List, Other Official List and Other Exclusion List) content within Dow Jones Risk and Compliance, ensuring this crucial data is kept up-to-date and meets client requirements and Dow Jones standards in terms of content, quality and timeliness.
The Dow Jones Risk and Compliance business provides a comprehensive response to financial regulations by offering global, accurate, up-to-date information on people and entities – enabling customers to meet regulatory guidelines, perform enhanced due diligence, control money laundering and illicit payments, and manage risk across their business.
The Special Lists content is a core and high-profile part of the Risk and Compliance offering and has expanded significantly in recent years and continues to do so. The Director will oversee the continued expansion of the content, shaping the content strategy to meet new and existing market requirements while ensuring the Special Lists team is processing the addition and maintenance of new and current content efficiently, quickly and accurately while adhering to the relevant guidelines.
The Director must be proficient at managing teams involved in the analysis and processing of large volumes of data in a variety of formats. The Director will work in tandem with the relevant Product leads in analyzing and prioritizing the addition of new list-related content. They need to possess the ability, with the relevant strategic partners within Dow Jones, to analyze and interpret quickly relevant orders and legislation to ensure the required actionable data reaches clients in a timely fashion.
The Director will be responsible for a large multi-lingual global team of managers and researchers in Barcelona, London, Princeton (NJ), Singapore and Shanghai, who research, monitor, update and maintain the profiles of individuals and entities listed on the official lists issued by government bodies and regulators around the world. These lists are usually sanctions, enforcement or exclusion-related and may be published in English or other languages. It is particularly vital that sanctions updates are processed quickly and accurately in accordance with client expectations and Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
The Director is responsible for recruitment, defining goals in line with the overall objectives of Dow Jones to grow the Risk and Compliance business, performance management and identifying and implementing the coaching and development of staff.
The Director must be comfortable in front of clients, explaining coverage and processes, and need to be adept at handling often complex customer queries in a clear and timely manner.
- Experience managing a large team researching sanctions, enforcement lists
- Excellent understanding of the Risk and Compliance market
- Excellent understanding of sanctions-related regulations
- Experience defining coverage and workflows for efficient and timely production of content
- Ability to manage multiple teams, both locally and remotely, and to supervise, motivate and develop both managers and research editors
- Experienced and at ease working with clients, sales and customer support teams
- Strong customer focus and experience handling complex content-related client queries
- Delivers what is required, when it is required
- Ability to determine and juggle priorities
- Strong organizational and research skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills with the ability to make timely decisions
- Efficient at using collaborative working relationships to accomplish goals
- Detail orientation and a focus on quality
- Ability to adapt readily to changing customer demands and allocate resources appropriately
- Ability to take ownership of issues
- Strong presentation and communication skills (both internally and externally)
- Education to degree level
- Fluency in English (written and spoken). In addition, professional-level fluency in at least one other language would be an advantage.
To Apply: Please send a copy of you CV and salary expectations to the link provided.
The position is located in London or Barcelona.