To: Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chair, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (Districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsels; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that several versions of counterfeit cashier’s checks using a correct routing number of 091101730 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a mystery shopping scam.
The counterfeit checks may be immediately identified by the following traits:
- The checks contain the account number of 066001.
- The checks contain an authorized signature of “Patricia L. Wender.”
- The checks do not include an embossed dollar amount.
Counterfeit checks presented to date have been made payable in varying amounts and may include remitter names of Nichole Alan, Mitchell Anderson, Nichole Brown, Jonathan Cooks, Nichole Dennocenzo, Sayace Flanary, Candace Hicks, Laura M. Mooney, or Jasmyne Washington. A number of checks have been deposited as mobile deposits.
E-mail correspondence pertaining to this mystery shopping scam may be initiated by someone using the name of “James Matt” with an e-mail address of [firstname.lastname@example.org] and a telephone number of (281) 594-7549.
Correspondence accompanying the counterfeit checks instructs the recipient to deposit the check into his or her bank account, wait 24 hours, and withdraw the cash needed to complete the assignment. The letter further instructs the potential victim to spend a small sum of the money, such as $50, at a well-known merchant and then to wire transfer a larger sum, such as $1,500, to a third party. Contact information contained within the instructional correspondence may include an e-mail address of [email@example.com] and a telephone number (text messages only) of (786) 233-9084. Please be aware that contact names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses may vary.
For additional information and to verify the authenticity of checks drawn on First National Bank & Trust Company, please contact Assistant Vice President Sandra L. Meier by mail at 233 S. Stephenson Avenue, Iron Mountain, MI 49801 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consumers who receive counterfeit or fictitious items and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC’s Web site.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by e-mail. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud Web site.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The Web site offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the Internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may be forwarded to
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450
Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC’s anti-fraud resources page.
Ellen M. Warwick
Director for Enforcement and Compliance
# # #